Photos/ Building Descriptions

Barr Sculpture

Photos and Building Descriptions - Mill Race Village - Northville Historical Society - Pic_MillRaceAboutBarrSculpture
Designed in 1992 by renowned local sculptor David Barr, this sculpture representing a Victorian era boy at play welcomes visitors to the Village.
 
 
 

Cady Inn

Photos and Building Descriptions - Mill Race Village - Northville Historical Society - Pic_MillRaceAboutCadyBelieved to be an early coach stop, the saltbox style building was moved to the Village in 1987 from the north side of Cady Street, two blocks east of Center Street. It currently houses the Northville Historical Society Office and Archives. It is available for rentals.

Hirsch Blacksmith Shop

Photos and Building Descriptions - Mill Race Village - Northville Historical Society - Pic_MillRaceAboutBlacksmithThe original building, which stood on the corner of Main and Hutton streets, was in use from the mid-1800’s until its demolition in 1930. Completed in 1985, this replica now houses a working “smithy” on one side and a rotating exhibit space on the other side.

Wash Oak School

Photos and Building Descriptions - Mill Race Village - Northville Historical Society - Pic_MillRaceAboutSchoolMoved to the Village in 1975, this building served Washtenaw and Oakland counties as a one-room school from 1873 to 1966. It was originally located on the west side of Currie Road, between Seven and Eight Mile roads. Today it is still used as a classroom in the Village for visiting elementary classes.

New School Church

Photos and Building Descriptions - Mill Race Village - Northville Historical Society - Pic_MillRaceAboutBarrChurchBuilt in 1845 by a splinter group of the Presbyterian Church of Northville, it served as a church for only four years. Later, it was used as a school, a township hall, a Salvation Army barracks and as Northville’s library for 70 years. The Northville Historical Society was formed in 1964 to save this building from demolition and it was moved to the Village in 1972. It is available to rent for weddings, parties, and meetings.

Hunter House

Photos and Building Descriptions - Mill Race Village - Northville Historical Society - Pic_MillRaceAboutHunterThis classic Greek Revival home, with half-gabled wings, was built by Stephen and Mary Hunter in 1851 and moved to the Village in 1972 from it's original location on the south side of Main Street at Griswold. The house serves as a house museum, furnished with items typical of the period.

Yerkes House

Photos and Building Descriptions - Mill Race Village - Northville Historical Society - Pic_MillRaceAboutYerkesThis house was built in 1873 by Sarah (Cady) Yerkes and William Purdy Yerkes, children of early Northville settlers. The home originally stood on the south side of Cady Street between Church and Center streets. The nine-room house features traditional Carpenter Gothic style.