The Northville Historical Society, the non-profit, volunteer organization that operates and finances the Village, has instituted this policy because of overuse and abuse of the Village in the past. This new policy requires that professional photographers or videographers who wish to take photos or videos on the grounds of Mill Race Village to sign a contract, provide a copy of insurance and pay a Yearly Fee of $500 or a One-Day fee of $125 for non-Northville residents, or $100 for Northville residents. This policy is now in effect and will be enforced.
The Village will continue to be closed to the public during weddings held at Mill Race. In addition, professional photographers/videographers are no longer allowed to visit the Village grounds on Sundays, between 1:00pm - 4:00pm when the Village is open to the public, or during any other Historical Society special public event.
After signing the contract and paying the fee, you will be sent a MRV Photographers Badge that must be worn and displayed whenever you are on the grounds of the Village shooting photographs. You will also receive an electronic calendar listing all the weddings and events that close the Village for the current year. You will no longer have to worry about arriving here with a client only to be turned away. This information will not be given out over the phone to non-participating photographers as was done in the past. In addition, we will also give your contact information to parties renting the Village for weddings.
Professional Photographer/Videographer Policy
Professional photographers and videographers must sign a yearly contract, pay a yearly fee, and provide an insurance certificate naming the Northville Historical Society as an additional insured, in order to take photos or videos at Mill Race Village. This applies to all Photographers/Videographers who charge a fee or sell their images in any way, or anyone with equipment other than just a camera (umbrella, props, etc.). The fee is $500 per year, payable at time of application, and renewable each January. If the contract is signed after August 31 in any calendar year, the fee for the remainder of that calendar year is $250. The photography permit fee is non-refundable. The permit must be applied for and payment made prior to the photography. One Permit Badge will be issued and must be worn at all times when on the premises. If the Permit Badge is lost, there is a $50 replacement fee. Photographers and their clients will be asked to leave the grounds if they do not have a permit. City of Northville Police will be called if necessary.
A one-day Photography Pass is also available for a fee of $125 for non-Northville residents and $100 for Northville residents. Arrangements must be made in advance with the Historical Society Office, a contract signed and the fee paid. A one-day pass will be issued and must be worn when on the grounds during the photo shoot.
Professional Photographers/Videographers who sign the contract and pay the fee will receive:
- Notification by email of all weddings and events that close the Village to visitors. This information will not be available to the general public or photographers who do not pay the fee.
- Will be included on our Vendor List given to couples being married at Mill Race Village.
Commercial Photographers with 2017 Permits
- Angela Bowers Photography - www.angelabowersphoto.com
- Craig David Butler Photography - www.craigdavidbutler.com
- LaBelle Photography - www.capturingfamilies.com
- JK Portraits - www.expressphotodigital.com
- Rawlinson Photography - www.rawlinsonphoto.com
- Prestige Portraits - local.prestigeportraits.com/mi/royal-oak/1107-crooks-rd.html
- Shana Figures Photography, LLC - www.shanafiguresphotography.com
- Creative Photo Effects, LLC- www.creativephotoeffects.com
- Northstar Photography and Design- www.northstarpad.com