top of page

Who We Are

History is preserved at Mill Race Historical Village, a gem of the Northville community. Created in 1972 by the Northville Historical Society, Mill Race Village serves as a focal point for the Northville community.


A living museum, the Village was built on land donated to the City of Northville by the Ford Motor Company. Once the site of a grist mill, the Village is home to a church, gazebo, school, rustic wooden bridge, blacksmith shop, general store, interurban train station and several homes reminiscent of an era gone by. The New School Church was built in 1845 by a splinter group of the First Presbyterian Church of Northville. The Church exhibits a Greek Revival architectural style with a columned entrance portico. Moved to the Village in 1972, the Church is currently used for meetings, classes and weddings.

Overlooking the ramblings of the Rouge River which flows through the Village, is a large gazebo. Modeled after a turn of the century version, the gazebo was built in 1979 by high school students. Many couples seek out the pleasant shelter of the gazebo to exchange vows on their wedding day. Couples also choose to say their "I Do's" overlooking the water, in the front yard of the homes or on the steps of the Church.

Open Hours

The village grounds are open year round, dawn to dusk daily except when there is a private function. 

From June 18th, Mill Race Village buildings will be open most Sunday afternoons between 1 and 4 pm 

215 Griswold St Northville MI 48167

Phone: (248) 348 1845

Mission Statement:

It is the Mission of the Northville Historical Society to preserve and advance through education the knowledge of the history of Northville.

Vision Statement:


It is the vision of the Northville Historical Society to remain the historic heart of Northville through stewardship of the buildings, artifacts, and grounds of Mill Race Historical
Village for generations to come.

Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:

The Northville Historical Society is committed to the principles of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. We welcome everyone, no matter their race, gender, religion, sexual identity, physical ability, nationality, or economic status. History shows us that without commitment to these fundamental principles, we lose precious values and important voices. We work to ensure that our programs, events, hiring and governance practices are geared toward diversity, equity and inclusion, thereby creating an organization that invites all voices to be a part of our shared legacy.

bottom of page